Acne-prone skin can be quite difficult to deal with, and even more so when shaving.
Not all products are ideal to use on acne prone skin, and this is particularly evident when it comes to aftershave.
So in this article, we want to help you get the best aftershave for acne prone skin types.
How to Deal With Acne-Prone Skin
Before we get into good aftershaves for acne-prone skin, I firstly want to expand a bit on acne-prone skin and how to deal with it;
- Moisturizing – I want you to keep in mind that not all acne-prone skins are oily, and even if your skin is oily, it does not mean that it will not need moisture. You may need to use products that do not contain oils and that are non-comedogenic, but your skin still needs moisture and hydration. In which case, I would recommend a gel-based or water-based moisturizer rather than an oil-based moisturizer. This will count for your aftershave, in turn, which should provide some moisture and not dry out your skin.
- Prepping Before Shaving – Prepping your face before shaving is ideal for all skin types, but even more so for acne-prone skin. You want to rinse your face with warm water to open up the follicles and use a lathering, non-drying, and good shaving cream without harsh alcohols and fragrances to shaving.
- Exfoliation – When it comes to Acne, exfoliation now and then can help to remove dead skin cells and also improve circulation, which in turn will help to deal with acne. Yes, shaving, in a sense, does exfoliate the surface skin layers, but for acne, you need something that goes a bit deeper. Using an Alpha Hydroxy Acid or Salicylic acid cleanses or cream on your face now and again will greatly improve the texture and reduce acne breakouts. Keep in Mind that Alpha Hydroxy Acids and Salicylic acids must never be used together. Salicylic acids can be used in a good cleanser daily for exfoliation and to control sebum, especially oily skins. Manual exfoliation with a more granular cleanser weekly is also effective but can be quite harsh on the skin.
- Sunscreen – Now I know this may seem unnecessary, but from experience with acne, I can tell you that the sun does not have any good effect on acne or the scarring that goes with it. In turn, it will aggravate acne. So with your morning routine, try to include and non-comedogenic and oil-free sunscreen daily.
Choosing and Aftershave for Acne Prone Skin
Like I have mentioned before, try not to dry out your skin when you have acne, as this will only cause your skin to produce more oils if you have an oily skin type.
Make sure that the aftershave you use contains no or little alcohol, which can be very drying.
Oil-free and non-comedogenic products for acne prone skin are the best even when it comes to aftershaves.
Aftershave that contains tea tree oil can be very beneficial for acne prone skin and help to reduce inflammation and infection.
Make sure that the aftershave also provides some moisture or hydration to your skin, especially after shaving, as the skin may be dry.
Not using proper hydration will, in the end, cause more oiliness and breakouts.
Features of a Good Aftershave for Acne Prone Skin
- Ingredients – Look for and aftershave with moisturising ingredients that are non-comogenic and also more water or gel based than oily. Avoid very harsh chemicals and fragrances, and also alcohols in your aftershave. Instead opt for more natural products that contain ingredients such as tea tree oil and salicylic acids for acne.
- Quality Brand – Especially when you have skin issues such as acne, it is advised to opt for good quality brands or even more natural brands to cater to your skin, rather than just being a product that makes you smell good.
- Fragrance – When it comes to fragrance, I always recommend a shaving cream with a natural fragrance rather than synthetic. However, this is not the worst-case scenario. An aftershave at all should smell good and be refreshing, so do not be afraid to enjoy the fragrance as long as it is from a quality brand suited to your skin type.
Reviews: The Best Aftershave for Acne-Prone Skin
Listed below, I have some of the best options in aftershaves that are perfect for acne-prone skins;
- The Bevel aftershave is non-comedogenic and safe for acne-prone skin.
- It is alcohol-free and will not irritate your skin to cause breakouts.
- The aftershave contains tea tree oil and witch Hazel which are great ingredients for acne-prone skin.
- It also contains moisturizing agents that will not dry out your skin.
- The Anthony Aftershave is cooling and hydrating to your skin.
- It is designed to reduce razor burn and irritation that can lead to an acne breakout.
- The aftershave is free from irritants and parabens and very safe to use.
- It has a lovely scent and cooling feel.
- The Men’s Soap Company Aftershave is another favorite for acne-prone skin.
- It contains natural ingredients and has a natural sandalwood scent.
- The aftershave is moisturizing yet not greasy at all.
- It will not aggravate acne or leave a tacky feel on your face.
- From Paula’s Choice, we have the PC4Men range for acne-prone skin.
- This aftershave has exfoliating as well as anti-ageing ingredients, which are both ideal for acne-prone skin.
- The formula is gentle and also fragrance-free for less irritation.
- Ideally suited to acne-prone skin and will not clog your pores.
- The era Organics Aftershave is an all-natural option for acne-prone skin.
- The aftershave prevents ingrown hairs, razor bumps, and acne breakouts.
- It contains all-natural ingredients and no harsh chemicals.
- It is moisturizing yet not greasy at all.
- From Bump Patrol, we have the Maximum strength aftershave for more oily and acne-type skins.
- The aftershave offers very fast and effective results.
- It is non-irritating and soothing without any negative effects on your skin.
- This product is sworn by many barbers.
Index Table: Top Rated Aftershave for Acne Prone Skin
|1||Bevel Restoring - Aftershave for Acne Prone Skin||Bevel||98|
|2||Anthony Cooling - Aftershave for Acne||Anthony||97.9|
|3||Men’s Soap Company Natural - Aftershave for Acne||Men’s Soap Company||97|
|4||Paula’s Choice PC4Men - Aftershave for Acne Prone Skin||Paula’s Choice||97.7|
|5||Era Organics Serum - Aftershave for Acne||Era Organics||97|
|6||Bump Patrol Maximum - Aftershave for Acne Prone Skin||Bump Patrol||96.5|
Table of Contents
- How to Deal With Acne-Prone Skin
- Choosing and Aftershave for Acne Prone Skin
- Features of a Good Aftershave for Acne Prone Skin
- Reviews: The Best Aftershave for Acne-Prone Skin
- Index Table: Top Rated Aftershave for Acne Prone Skin