Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Shaving in the shower can save you time and optimize your shave.
Dermatologists agree that shaving in the shower is the most effective way of shaving for several reasons:
The steam that rises from your shower is key to opening your pores, which causes the hair on your face to rising, making it easier to razor off.
Naturally, the other obvious benefit is the water penetrating the hair, causing it to expand, making the course hairs softer and easier to cut.
Shaving softer hair reduces the damage done to your blade, making your blades last a bit longer, and it’s less likely to tear or get cut off at an angle (which reduces the likelihood of razor bumps), and may also reduce the amount of irritation you suffer due to shaving.
How to Shave in the Shower like a Pro:
- Once in the shower, get your face wet. Wait a few minutes for the face to get nice and hot. (Average time for water to penetrate the hair and pores to open is 3 minutes.
- Prepare your Fog-Free Mirror using a small film of soap on the mirror and then rinsing it, or try using: Fogless Mirror Cleaner and Anti Fog Solution Spray.
- Lather up your face with shaving cream/gel/oil. If you use a combination, start using your shaving oil by applying a light coating and then adding your shaving cream to protect your skin.
- Rinse and Heat a razor at the top of the shower stream. Look in the mirror and make your first pass. Repeat until complete.
- Rinse off your face. Rinse the razor, and be sure to replace any cap on it, or take it out of the shower with you and leave it in a dry storage place.
If you want to shave in the shower, you’d better use a fog-free mirror; check out this mirror from Amazon – it has great suction for most surfaces, and even if it falls, it won’t break.1
Super-sensitive skin may benefit from using special razors and shaving formulas.
Defender Razor offers customizable razors, so for those who suffer from ingrown hairs, and extremely sensitive skin, try Defender Razor’s Sensitive Cartridge, or Extra-Sensitive.